Monday, March 7, 2011

FCCB Challenge Me Monday #50 - Tree Bloom Card

Pin It Now!

Happy Monday Everyone!

I've never been more anxious for a Monday to come than this past weekend. Last Monday, I announced my acceptance into the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog Design Team and since then I've been so excited and "patiently" waiting for March 7th. So without further ado, I give to you my very FIRST DT project!

Cricut Expression, Cricut Design Studio, Cricut Simply Charmed Cartridge, Create A Critter Cartridge, Bazzill 'Avalanche(white flowers)', 'Bitter Chocolate(butterfly body)', 'Evening Surf(blue flowers)', 'Lily Pond(tree leaves)', 'Mango(bloom)', 'Parakeet(base & layers)', 'Tanglo(bloom shadow)', 'K&CO 'Lovely' Paper Pad, DCWV 'Wood Natural' Paper, Making Memories Animal Cracker 'Jack Stripe' Paper(butterfly wings), Recollections Pearls, Misc - Cloud Paper.

This week's challenge at Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog is all about TREES!
Create a project using any type of tree ... i.e: palm tree, pine tree even a tree branch will due.

I have to be honest with all of you, at first this challenge had me stumped. But I soon realized how versatile a tree die-cut can be. You can use it on a sympathy, thinking of you, friendship, birthday, and of course a Christmas Card, but there are so many more options. I opted to go with a spring-ish card since we are starting to get some nicer weather and the buds are starting to sprout.



I used Design Studio to weld together the "Tree2" and "Tree1" from Simply Charmed and the "Bloom Word" from Create A Critter to the "Accent27s" frame from Accent Essentials, creating a Front-Shaped card.


I made several layers to the card, which caused it to be rather "FAT" and top heavy. The "Bloom" ended up being 5 layers tall. To give each layer a touch of dimension, I used my own foam tape. I adapted this "dimension method", as well as the front-shaped card style from Donna Mundinger at Popsicle Toes.


I purchase sheets of foam in various colors and ran them thru my Xyron 150 once on each side, then cut them into smaller strips and used the ones that matched my cardstock. This way the dimensionals aren't so distracting when viewed from the side.


Each individual tree was cut out again using patterned paper. The leaves and flowers were also "foam-popped" for more dimension. Each flower was layered three times, leaving the first one flat and crumpling & turning the other two. I also added a small pearl to the centers.


Since I plan on using this card more decor than an actual card - shipping would be outrageous - I used only a background pattern paper & left it blank.

I hope you have all enjoyed my first project as a member of the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog Design Team. Now head on over to FCCB to see what the rest of the DT's amazing work. And don't forget to  link up your project using a TREE to FCCB. I can't wait to see what you create.

Have a Great Day!

17 comments :

BugBites said...

Wow- Look at all those layers- this is gorgeous.

Robin's Creative Cottage said...

I love all the layering that you've done on this card, each tree is beautiful, and would be lovely in a frame. :)

Tanya said...

This is just beautiful! I love all those yummy layers! Great card, you nailed your first DT project!
Tanya

Maquel said...

Beautiful!!! I love it!! Great job with DT inspiration!!

Maquel (Fellow DT member)
http://papermaineiac.blogspot.com

sandee said...

You are hands down the dimension queen! wowzers, that is wonderful! I am going to enjoy designing with you!

My Lil' Bits said...

You really did an awesome job on this card. It is so pretty, I just love all the layering.

Lisa C

GreenScrap said...

Wow!! Holy Pop Ups!! You card is so pretty and dimensional!! I love how you added the butterfly!!
TFS!! Take Care!!
Jennie @ http://earthyscrap.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Marlene-- this is beautiful. I love all of the dimension--makes my tiny pop dots look like nothing :) hehe LOVE your tip!

Jamie said...

WOW! I love all the layering you did!!!

Mad Crafter said...

So, soooooo pretty! Love this! Can't wait to see more at FCCB too. TFS and thanks for playing with us this week at Cooking With Cricut:)
~Madison CWCDT funkycards.blogspot.com

AmyJRockstar said...

Omggosh, I have a feeling I'm going to be learning a lot from you! Look at all that work! All those layers! Were you able to cut the foam on your cricut and if so could you tell me if it's some sort of thinner foam and where you get it and what you put your settings at on your cricut? Sorry for the million questions, but I'd really like to make something like this and would hate to mess it up! I especially love the awesome butterfly springing off the page! Proud to be designing on the same team as you! :0)
XO ~ Amy Jo (FCCB Design Team Member)
http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com/
amyjrockstar at gmail dot com
(follower)

Nicole said...

Congratulations and what a beautiful card. Love all the layers! Thanks for playing along this week at Cooking with Cricut!
~Nicole CWC DT

Jennifer said...

WOW, incredible card, Marlene! Thanks for doing a "double take" with us this week at Cooking With Cricut.

~ Jen, CWC Design Team
www.gator-4-life.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

So adorable!!! I love all the layering! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa N
prettypaperprettyribbons.blogspot.com

Amber said...

This is amazing! I love all the layers! TFS!

Scraping Miami said...

Love the way you made everything so 3D and your little flowers super cute. I love flowers.

Jessie

Kate said...

This is fabulous!! I love the tree cut you chose and the papers are just fantastic! Those little blossoms are wonderful! I'm so pleased to be working with you at FCCB. Congratulations!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments, thoughts, or ideas. Please leave me a heart-warming message.

NOTE: If asking for a .cut file, please remember to add your email address.